Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Short Break

I joked about it, but I think I actually need one.  Fat Tony is going to take a break for a couple days for two reasons:

One, I need the mental rest.  I think that's all I can say about that.

Two, in consultation with my dad, I realized that having California drop into the ocean is a really big deal.  Kinda huge.  So considering that they've discovered what the problem is (the Livy Cottontails) and located the problem (the Livy Cottontails), why not just get rid of the problem (i.e. kill the Livy Cottontails)?  No matter how cute they are, 20 rabbits versus 36-million people?  You do the math.

So I have to do a couple things in the story to really acknowledge the magnitude of what is going on.  I can see what those things are, but they're going to make the story bigger.  And better, I believe, and more exciting.

In other words, the story (which was feeling stale to me) is getting a shot of life.  I just need a couple days away from it before I jump back in.  Now, what other writing project do I work on while I give myself a rest....

2 comments:

  1. I must admit, while I love reading every day, the story looked like it was quickly going to wrap itself up very neatly.

    Perhaps it would have been wrapped up too neatly.

    And the fact that:
    1) the FBI can't just magically shield 20 bunnies plus their progeny (and keep the bunnies from wanting more progeny),

    and

    2) they can't just leave the terrorist spells like they did last time, a minefield waiting to happen again in 5 years when another unstable magic source accidentally activates them,

    are two huge plot items to work out.

    (Notice why I am not a writer. First, I am a queen of run-on sentences. Second, I tend to end things with a preposition. A lot. It's a lost cause for me, I think.)

    Just let Becca know when you're writing again, so I am not doing ADD checks every day for a week and then forgetting to check for a month. ; )

    But, on a wistful note, I won't get a Tony-give-or-take-a-word fix every night. Still, I'm not a little kid anymore. I can turn down the hershey's kiss today for the candybar tomorrow. (I'll just keep reminding myself that)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A break is a swell idea. In the meantime, I'll throw cheezits at your picture (the one we keep above our mantel) and burn Fat Tony's effigy. Since he's so fat, perhaps you'll get back to writing in time to save him.

    On that note, enjoy your break!

    Oh, and I figured that 20 really super cute bunnies were enough to balance the loss of California, our nation's worst state.

    ReplyDelete