Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hunt for the Elusive Agent

They're not actually that hard to track down. It's just a slight challenge to find MY agent. Whoever he or she is.

But that's how I spent my day, or at least much of the afternoon: meandering through a world of blogs, submission guidelines, personal doubt, and email. In other words, I spent it submitting query letters for Fat Tony: Tech Support Wizard.

One of the last things I read today was a post on QueryTracker.net from someone who had just received two offers of representation after four months of submissions (or possibly more--the dates were skeewumpus). Here's this author's stats for submission:


Queries sent: 115
Positive Responses = 16
Negative Responses = 99

So, as a result, I feel slightly sheepish. Here are my numbers for Fat Tony:

Queries sent: 15
Positive Responses = 3
Negative Responses = 5

My numbers for Pete and The Dog are about the same, but with only 14 submissions before I gave up.

So what does this mean? It means that these numbers give me hope. Time to submit to more people. Lots more people.

3 comments:

  1. While, in the meantime, your readers are suffering from LotM withdrawal. Way to think of US, Drew! Okay, just kidding--we also want FT:TSW to succeed. And PaTD. And CoD. So, do what you must--we will still be here: reading, enjoying it, and letting you know. Love, Your Fans

    (P.S. I'm really just one person, but somehow I picked up the royal "We" for this post. It seemed appropriate to see it through to the end.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very much like Jonathan's job search. I'm glad you're writing, rather than stagnating in the miasma that negative responses create. Submit, submit! Write, write! Thanks, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You obviously need an agent to handle your submissions to agents.

    ReplyDelete