Thursday, April 22, 2010

The City of Dreams -- Part 33 (Act I)

ACT I
Scene 1

Curtain opens on our narrator, a round, black man in a dapper suit. He sits alone on the stage, surrounded by darkness.

NARRATOR
Welcome to a dream within a dream. We appreciate that you would come, since there are so many other ways you could be spending your dreams. Flying over the jungle, swimming under the ocean, eating delicious food without gaining weight. You could do all these things--but instead, you are here with us.

ALL VOICES
                        (from off stage)
            We thank you.

NARRATOR
But let's not waste any more time with preliminaries. This story is an adventure! A hint of romance, a dash of swords, a bevy of furniture--it all lies within. So join us! As we present to you THE ABSENCE OF PUNCTUAL FITZGIBBONS!

Stage goes dark. Jaunty organ music. Place two new stools. When lights go up, we see a large man in a camel colored suit, a woman in a feathered dress, and a boy. Behind them is a sign: "Welcome to Misunderstanding"

CAMEL SUIT
                        (mutters)
What page were we on again? I can't seem to find--

FEATHERED WOMAN
Page two, right there. See it?

CAMEL SUIT
Got it. Right. Sorry. Is it me now?

FEATHERED WOMAN
                        (nods)

CAMEL SUIT
Got it. Ahem. What a strange place this town is. Are you certain this is where we were to meet him?

FEATHERED WOMAN
This is the place. It is the only Misunderstanding in the entire country.

CAMEL SUIT
Certainly that can't be true--Oh! I finally get that! That's funny, Perry--sorry. Certainly that can't be true, for our son's friend is nowhere to be seen.

FEATHERED WOMAN
Perhaps he will be here soon. We are, after all, two minutes early, and he must be called Punctual Fitzgibbons for a reason. Is he not, my boy?

BOY
Punctual Fitzgibbons is always on time--never early and never late--or so he tells me.

FEATHERED WOMAN
So he tells you? Certainly you've met him at least once. Was he punctual then?

BOY
He is always Punctual, but I've never met him, so I don't know if he's always on time.

CAMEL SUIT
Ha! I get that one, too. This play isn't half ba--sorry, Perry. You go ahead. Oh! My line. Let us wait, then. Unless there is some misunderstanding, I'm certain Punctual Fitzgibbons will be on time for our meeting in Misunderstanding.

All sit, looking around to the sound of a clock ticking.

BOY
He isn't here.

FEATHERED WOMAN
It's time.

CAMEL SUIT
Punctual Fitzgibbons is late.

BOY
There must have been a misunderstanding.

FEATHERED WOMAN
There is, and we're here.

CAMEL SUIT
And Punctual Fitzgibbons is late.

BOY
At least it wasn't much of a drive.

FEATHERED WOMAN
No. It's never a long trip to Misunderstanding.

CAMEL SUIT
And Punctual Fitzgibbons is late.

Fade to black. Ominous organ music.

Scene 2

Lights come up on the small family, clustered stage left. Stage right are three storefronts: Intentional Misunderstandings, Fortunate Misunderstandings, and Regrettable Misunderstandings.

FEATHERED WOMAN
We've been through all of Misunderstanding, and no sign of Punctual Fitzgibbons.

CAMEL SUIT
I'm sorry. I know it's silly but I've lost my place again--there. Got it. We haven't checked those stores yet, have we? Perhaps Punctual Fitzgibbons is in Fortunate Misunderstandings.

FEATHERED WOMAN
I find it much more likely that he's in Intentional Misunderstandings. I plan to give him a piece of my mind when I find him.

BOY
Then I suppose that leaves Regrettable Misunderstandings for me.

FEATHERED WOMAN
Do be careful when you go in there, my boy. It may be true that you've led us on a wild goose chase, but I don't want anything happening to you. It would be truly regrettable.

CAMEL SUIT
Is that supposed to be here?

Small end table wanders into the spotlight from stage left. Feathered Woman stands, gives the end table a swift kick, and end table retreats.

CAMEL SUIT
My turn again? Right. Um...So, to be perfectly clear and avoid all misunderstanding, we return here in five minutes in the middle of Misunderstanding, each back from our individual Misunderstandings?

FEATHERED WOMAN
Exactly. Off I go.

CAMEL SUIT
Tally-ho!

Camel Suit and Feathered Woman exit stage right, he toward Fortunate Misunderstandings, she toward Intentional Misunderstandings.

Boy sighs and finally leaves toward Regrettable Misunderstandings.

Stately organ music.

3 comments:

  1. A jaunty start, but really, Drew--you are teasing us! (Cruel to be kind, I know, I know--but where is the rest?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "at least it wasn't much of a drive".
    Are you going to end by saying we have to go to the City of Dreams to find how the play ends? Sort of a "The Lady, or the Tiger" type of ending?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Camel Colored Suit. And I'm asking myself why I persist in making comments a month after you've posted this.

    ReplyDelete