Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Stories that might have happened.

Life happens, and it usually tries to force its way between my fingers and the keyboard. It's like trying to type through a plank of dry wood. Sometimes I get the plank out of the way, and sometimes there's lots of banging without much writing getting done.

So, since interruptions are normal, I almost inevitably lose ideas. I have an idea of what will come next, I have to step away for five minutes or five hours, and that story disappears forever. Instead I discover another story and move on from there.

It makes me wonder what would have happened to Pete if I had stayed at the keyboard right then, or Fat Tony, or Perry. In the end, a story is written. It is, by definition, perfect.

And then I find another story.

2 comments:

  1. I hate it when I lose my ideas, because then my writer's block gets even worse. I guess that's what I get for writing in between sessions of general conference. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete