Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Rich Finds Something Good

"I thought it was just a legend," I said.

"I'll have to see it to believe it," said The Dog, "though there's definitely something unusual about that box."

Rich shrugged. "I'll show you." He pulled back the tab on the 'grape' side of the Nerds box and poured into his hand until it was full. The purple bloblets went into his mouth and he started sucking and chewing. The Dog and I looked into the small hole as Rich held the box out to us.

"Empty," said The Dog.

"Where did you get this?" I asked. "Sorry, your mouth is full. I'll wait."

Rich finished chewing. "You know the Fodor place downtown?"

"The vampires?"

"You don't know they're vampires," said The Dog.

"Hey, you ever seen them out during the day?"

"I've never seen them out, period."

"Good enough for me."

"I went trick-or-treating down there," said Rich.

"You're crazy!"

He shrugged again. "I got this box."

The Dog and I looked in the hole again. Full. Of grape Nerds.

"It's real," said The Dog.

There was a bit of awe in my voice as I said its full name. "The Ancient and Venerable Box of Eternal Nerds. Rich, I will never doubt you again."

Rich poured out another handful. "The strawberry side works, too," he said, and popped the Nerds into his mouth.

2 comments:

  1. I am so totally jealous of Rich! Do you think he'd share some? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, who needs Pandora's Box, right?

    ReplyDelete