Sunday, November 1, 2009

What Magic Is REALLY Good For

"Hold that steady," I said to Morgan, who had the hand mirror by the window.

"I am holding it steady."

"You're wobbling. It's slight, but it's there, and if you don't keep it steady this whole thing is wasted and this is a lot of Pixie Stix."

"I got the desert sand you'd saved, Pete." Rich came in, carrying the small vial I had forgotten in my room.

"Perfect. You remember how to draw the ring around the Stix?"

"Don't worry, Pete. I won't mess it up this year."

"Okay," I said. "Go for it."

"That's it?" asked Morgan. "You're not going to criticize him for doing a wobbly line of sand?"

"I criticize you, Morgan, because you drive people crazy fast. Rich takes longer to drive people crazy."

"Circle's done," said Rich.

"Here goes." I spun my small Japanese fan around my hand in a motion I'd practiced around seven-hundred times. This spell was important. In rhythm to the motion I did my chant, Rich's circle was perfect, and Morgan--wonder of wonders--kept the mirror steady.

"It's done," I said. My forehead was wet. I wiped it with my sleeve.

"I'm still astounded that you do this every year," said The Dog.

"I know it's hard for you to understand, Dog, but in front of you now are eighty-three Pixie Stix, and no matter how much you suck on the end, these Stix will never clog up."

"Yup," said Morgan. "Free flow of sugar, right down your throat."

"You mean 'into your mouth,'" said The Dog.

"You enjoy Halloween your way," said Morgan, "I'll enjoy it mine."

2 comments:

  1. I wish Pete could do that to the Pixie Stix that I used to get for Halloween. Of course, I still think my favorite way to eat them was to add them to eegees. It makes the eegees taste so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would take a teenager to think of this marvelous use of magic. An infant wouldn't worry about the stix getting clogged, he'd just eat the paper, too.

    ReplyDelete