Monday, October 26, 2009

Caves

"What," I asked, "is the point of a cave?"

"If Rich had asked that question I would be interested in what came next," said The Dog.

"They're big holes in the ground," I said.

"Still not interested," said The Dog.

"The Wamapazangi people believe that caves are God's way of cooling the earth," I said. "Like a fork in a cake."

"You made up the Wamapazangi."

"While the Pora Lanuta from the Arctic feel that crevasses in the ice cap are how demons enter the world."

"That's true about the demons, but you made up the Pora Lanuta, too."

"And then the Rochemont family is famous for their pet cave."

"The Rochemonts are also famous for only marrying first cousins."

"But," I said decisively, "none of this changes the fact that caves are just holes in rock. Holes. In rock. What's the point?"

"Okay, I'll admit: the middle part was interesting," said The Dog.

"What about the beginning and end?"

"Don't ask," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment