Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

"Leather," I said.

"Exactly," said The Dog.  "What are we talking about?"

"The modern gift for the ninth anniversary is leather.  That seems odd to me."

"I'm confused," said The Dog.  "So you buy your wife a leather jacket?  I could buy my wife a dog collar, I suppose."

"You're married?" I asked, incredulous.

"That's irrelevant," said The Dog.  "The point is, the only kind of leather gifts I can think of involve very large watch bands and metal rivets."

"Let's go back to this 'married' thing," I said.

"Forget it," said The Dog.  "What is the traditional gift?"

"Pottery and willow."

"That's much nicer.  At least more decorative.  What is Andrew doing for his anniversary?"

"He asked me to write a blog post."

"Can you write a blog post on leather?"

"Don't be silly, Dog."

"Why not?" he said.  "'Leather' for a gift is certainly silly."

"You've got a point," I said, "but I'm going to finish this up: Happy Ninth Anniversary, Jan Marie.  There.  All done.  Now can we get back to this 'The Dog is married' thing?"

"Let it go, Pete.  Today isn't about me."

"We're coming back to this," I said.

"Another day," said The Dog.

--Pete

5 comments:

  1. It doesn't surprise me at all that The Dog is married. I'm told he's a very good looking fellow. But, what exactly does a gift of "Willow" consist of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gifts of leather! The riding crop is leather! That's the connection! Sorry. I need help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep commenting, Michelle, but I'm afraid that one had to go. We're very PG on this blog.

    --Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll have to forgive Michelle, Drew, she hasn't been getting enough sleep. Staying up too late researching Victorian slang for writerly purposes. It was bound to have an effect on her, poor soul. :)

    ReplyDelete