Saturday, October 3, 2009

Lemons and Limes

“They’re the same fruit,” said The Dog.

“How can you possibly think they’re the same fruit?” said Morgan.  “To start off, one is yellow and the other is green.”

“Unless the lemons aren’t ripe,” I said.  “I hear that unripe lemons are green.  Like another fruit I’ve heard of.  I believe they’re called ‘limes.’”

“See?” said The Dog.  “They’re the same fruit.”

“They are not the same fruit!” said Morgan.  “Rich, back me up on this.”

“What?” asked Rich, looking up from a book about Mother Theresa.  (Okay, I made up the ‘Mother Theresa’ part.  It was probably a book about the Dalai Lama.)

“Don’t drag Rich into this,” I said.  “He’ll agree with you just to be nice.”

“And avoid a beating,” muttered The Dog.

“But they are completely different fruit,” said Morgan.

“They’re both citrus,” I said.  “and they’re both roundish with knobbies on the end.”

“Okay, not completely different, but they really don’t taste the same.  Take lemonade and limeade.  No one is going to mix those two up.”

“Wait,” interrupted The Dog, “did you mean lemonade and unripe lemonade?”

“Actually,” I said, “I’m pretty sure they just add Green Number Six to lemonade and repackage the stuff.”

“You two are impossible,” said Morgan, stomping away.

“That was satisfying,” said The Dog.

I had to agree.



--Pete

1 comment:

  1. Well, she got what was coming to her. After introducing Pete to Haagen Daaz chocolate, what did she expect? (That's a rhetorical question, you're not supposed to answer it.)

    ReplyDelete